Transferring Guardianship When Moving to a New State | Littman Krooks, LLP
(914) 684-2100
Home  |  Our Firm  |  Attorneys  |  Staff  |  Blog  |  Contact  |  Employment  |  Directions

Transferring Guardianship When Moving to a New State

November 6th, 2015

Littman Krooks Special NeedsGuardianship can be an important legal tool to help family members care for a loved one who is unable to make his or her own decisions due to an illness or disability. Guardianship is determined in state court proceedings. However, when moving to another state, the question often arises whether it is necessary to transfer the guardianship to the new state or begin new guardianship proceedings.

The necessary legal action in a particular case depends on your individual circumstances, including the type of guardianship in question, the state you are moving from, and the state you are moving to. You should consult with an experienced elder law attorney or special needs attorney in both the state you are moving from and the state you are moving to, in order to determine what is needed in your case. However, some general information is presented here.

In many cases, transferring the guardianship to the new state will be desirable or even necessary. Facilities such as nursing homes, group homes and assisted living facilities may insist that a guardianship be authorized by the state where they are located. However, in most cases, the process should not be complicated. That is because 44 states, including New York, have adopted the Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act (UAGPPJA), which provides that the substantive findings of the original state in a guardianship proceeding be adopted by the new state, streamlining the transfer process.

If you are transferring a guardianship from or to a non-UAGPPJA state, the process can be significantly more complicated. A new guardianship proceeding may be required in the new state, and there may even be a court process required in the original state before moving the ward out of the original state.


Learn more about our special needs planning and special education advocacy services at or

Was this article of interest to you? If so, please LIKE our Facebook Page by clicking here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

New York City Office
1325 Avenue of The Americas,
15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
(212) 490-2020 Phone
(212) 490-2990 Fax
Westchester Office
800 Westchester Ave
Rye Brook, NY 10573
(914) 684-2100 Phone
(914) 684-9865 Fax
Attorney Advertising | New York Estate Planning | New York Elder Law | Website by SEO | Law Firm™, an Adviatech Company
This article does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. If you need legal advice concerning this or any other topic please contact our offices to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys at 914-684-2100 or 212-490-2020.