Orange County Offers Workshops to Families Facilitated for Families with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Other Developmental DisabilitiesJuly 26th, 2012
The Orange County Department of Mental Health is now accepting applications for Healthy Lifestyles, facilitated groups for children and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders and other Developmental Disabilities. Workshops will also be offers to parents that will provide guidance and discussion that will focus on teaching basic concepts to youth or young children.
Children and young adult workshops will learn:
- Personal hygiene
- Private vs. public behavior
- Social etiquette
- Physical and emotional changes
- How to manage personal needs differences in appropriate and inappropriate relationships
- Conversational skills
- Strategies to fit in at school and community groups
- Common social rules and rituals
- Positive self-esteem
- Use of visual cues to support skills learned.
Registration is only available to those that submit this application. For more information, contact Joyce Schmidt at 845-291-2600.
For more information about special needs planning or special education advocacy, please visit www.specialneedsnewyork.com.